Thursday, December 15, 2011

September 2011: Le Grande Maison, Loire Valley



This blogging business is tough going! This morning I found myself reminiscing about an out-of-this-world macha and white choc chip cookie experience at Bob's Kitchen in Paris. This got me thinking - how could I possibly begin writing about our March 2012 visit to France, when I completely failed to recount on an equally memorable Loire Valley experience from our van trip last September? With a freed-up Monday bank holiday on my hands - I best take a crack at it. The last stop of our 2011 European van trip. Here goes:

It's funny isn't it? We are always in need of a holiday. And when we're on holiday? We're planning the next. After accidentally discovering a nudist colony in Port Leucate, choking on a fish bone in Arcachon, losing to a van-intruding spider in Saint-Gilles, bathing outside a toilet block using 2L plastic bottles in a town whose name I couldn't pronounce, and might I mention, sleeping in the back of a van for four weeks, we needed a holiday. Don't get me wrong,  every destination...every experience, was memorable in its own right; I thrive on adventure and the unexpected. Hell - I believe in scheduling time for the unexpected! But the thought of a real bed for two nights at Le Grande Maison in the Loire Valley, inclusive of a five course wine tasting supper, sounded too good to be true.

On arrival, our English hosts, Sue and Mikaela, showed us to our room; a 17th century stone bakehouse still featuring its original oven. Kane and I spent the afternoon winding down in the estate gardens, with tea, biscuits and a light read; he  researching the geography of the Loire Valley as a wine region and me, with Elizabeth David in hand. French Country Cooking - how fitting! Soon, we were ready to explore. We set off for a stroll through the vinyards. When immersed in such tranquil surrounds, it's difficult not to forget about everything. This is exactly what the doctor had ordered. Our reason for stumbling across Le Grande Maison became even more clear when we discovered a tree laden with plump, ripe figs. WIN!

That evening, we met with our fellow guests to admire the sun setting over the vinyards. The five of us stood in awe, sipping our aperitif and enjoying Sue's bite-sized cheese puff pastries. The supper to follow was perhaps just as impressive as the view - five courses, five impecably chosen wines, a triple-sec shooter and a coffee to finish. With personalised menus to welcome each party, we couldn't praise Sue and Mikaela more highly for their attention to detail and willingness to share information about the wine and growers (all local to the area). Infact, all five of us enjoyed the evening so much that we booked supper for the following evening, requesting that this time, our tables be pulled together. It was one of those perfect evenings - great food, great wine, great conversation. There we sat in the 17th century Maison dining room, sharing the day's wine-tasting highlights and ooh-ing and ah-ing over Sue and Mikaela's gorgous selection of local cheeses. Our Texan fellow-diners also shared a hot tip - Chevre topped with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of white pepper. OMG. Do it! This is a no-regret situation that you should indulge in immediately - if not sooner.

I couldn't recommend Le Grande Maison more highly. If headed toward Saumur in the Loire, you simply must book a room ( http://www.lagrandemaison.net/ ). Be sure to ask Sue and Mikaela about the history of the pigeon tower, as it is absolutely fascinating. More importantly, pick their brains about the region's wine-tasting hot spots. Saumur is known for it's unique sparkling red - and partnered with a generous slice of chocolate cake, you won't be disappointed. I promise.



6 comments:

  1. Ruki and Kane!

    I'm one of the 3 Texans from the wonderful dinners at La Grande Maison last September! Hope you both are doing well. I think of the farmhouse often and the dreamy dinners we all shared together.

    Take care. Happy travels and happier eating!

    Kathy from Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy!! Our favourite Francophile paralegal),
    I have been a terrible blogger and have only just checked the page after literally, MONTHS! It was so lovely to hear from you - we often flick through the pictures - will have to put one up so that you have a copy.

    Hoping that all is well for you in Dallas,
    Ruki X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francophile paralegal here reporting in from Dallas where it is cold one day and hot the next! I ate my way through Paris in December. I went there to check out Paris at the Holidays and if I wasn't eating I was sipping vin chaud. I would send pics but I have macbook issues! Hope all is well. Update that blog!

      Take care.

      Kathy!

      Delete
  3. Ruki this was a delightful read. I feel like looking for something similar for my Italy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruki this was a delightful read. I feel like looking for something similar for my Italy trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruki this was a delightful read. I feel like looking for something similar for my Italy trip.

    ReplyDelete