Friday, December 23, 2011

Spiced Christmas Rice Pudding Recipe

The Swiss Cafe on Grafton Street (Cairns) used to sell small tubs of cold spiced rice pudding - ever so refreshing on a hot Summer's day! At one point I was treating myself daily.  Last week, my neighbours urged me to purchase the Morrison's rice pudding, which was a right steal at just 13p per can (it's no secret that the Yorkshire man hunts bargains as well as game). I hadn't eaten rice pudding in over a year and when I called my mum in a flurry of excitement, she reminded me how much I love the spiced version. Today I tossed a few spices in and the result was nostalgia inducing. I happened to have a bottle of cherry brandy in the homestead, so sloshed in a few cheeky teaspoons BUT, I wouldn't say that this is mandatory for success. The spices are so Christmassy and it is lovely served either straight from the stove, or chilled with a cup of tea. I am supposed to be cleaning the house in anticipation of Kane's arrival home - but couldn't resist sharing my version of Spiced Christmas Rice Pudding. Bon appetit!

Spiced Christmas Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
2 cans of plain rice pudding
Small handful of sultanas
2 cardamon pods
4 shakes ground nutmeg
4 shakes ground ginger
7 shakes ground cinnamon
5 tsp cherry brandy

Method:
Heat the rice pudding and sultanas in a saucepan over low heat for 2 mins. Split open the cardamon pods and add only the small black seeds from within. Add all other spices and the cherry brandy. Turn up ever so slightly, so that the pudding is simmering gently. Stir frequently to avoid sticking. Allow to simmer for a further 5-7 mins until the sultanas are plump and the pudding is exuding a fragrant aroma. Either serve hot as a winter warmer, or chill in the fridge for a few hours and serve as a refreshing after dinner treat. I think it seems more than appropriate to serve this for breakfast also. 

3 comments:

  1. Might give it a try for breakfast, although I am quite taken with the idea of making a rice pudding out of arborio rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I have not endeavoured to try and recreate the elaborate and skillful delicacies that you so often produce Miss Ruki, I have embarked somewhat on my own foodie journey in the last few days.

    For Christmas I was given a waffle maker and considering that I love waffles this was as fitting a present as any. Mind you I prefer to buy them pre-made and dripping in butterscotch sauce from a cafe than aspire to make my own. However, this waffle iron has brought out the creative cooking side of me (yes apparently it is hidden inside me somewhere) and over the past few days I have been exploring the various waffle varieties one can create, ranging from sweet to savoury. I thought of you yesterday as I served crispy waffles, swimming in a smooth caramel sauce topped with fresh mango pieces for breakfast. Impressed? I know I was, this was a once in a blue-moon event, definitely blog-reply worthy. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruki how lovely to read your rice pudding blog we should definitely go to the Swiss Inn to have some!

    ReplyDelete